Christmas is the time of the year when people want to make everything special, so you should start thinking about what delicious dishes to prepare this year for Christmas. Don’t get intimidated by complicated recipes, as there are many simple Christmas cooking ideas that you can use to surprise your family and friends in a great way. Here is something that might inspire you.
Red cabbage with juniper berries and pears
For this easy recipe you will need 2 tbsp of olive oil, 2 sliced onions, 2 chopped garlic cloves, 30 chopped juniper berries, 2 tsp of ground cinnamon, 1 shredded red cabbage, 4 tbsp of red wine vinegar, 600ml of vegetable stock that you can make with 2 stock cubes, and 2 pears that you must peel and cut into 8 wedges. Here are the steps that you need to follow in order to prepare this dish:
- Add the onions in a large pan that you have used to heat the oil, and leave them to cook for 8 minutes.
- Stir in the juniper berries and garlic, and saute for 1 minute.
- Add as much cabbage as possible, and cook it until it gets softer, as that will allow you to add the rest of the cabbage, the vinegar, the cinnamon and the stock.
- After leaving the mix to cook over a low heat for about 35 minutes, you can add the pears, and allow the composition to cook for another 15 min to obtain a delicious treat.
Glazed Ham With Coriander and Fennel
One of the simplest Christmas cooking ideas involves using the following ingredients to prepare a tasty meal: a 10-pound cooked bone-in ham, 2 tbsp of fennel seeds, 2 tbsp of coriander seeds, 1 tsp of black peppercorns, and 1cup of apricot preserves. Here are the directions that you need to follow:
- Heat the oven to 375° F.
- Put the ham on a rack set in a baking pan with the cut-side down, and cover it with foil before baking for about 40 minutes.
- Crush the coriander, fennel, and peppercorns, and combine them with the apricot preserves in a bowl to create a glaze.
- Next, you have to brush a quarter of the glaze over the ham and cook for 15 minutes, and then, brush another quarter of the remaining glaze over the ham, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve the ham with the rest of the glaze.
Apple fruit cake
Dessert is always welcomed to the table, so here is what you’ll need to prepare an amazing apple fruit cake: 200g of softened butter, 200g of dark muscovado sugar, 1 tbsp of black treacle, 3 beaten eggs, 2 tsp of mixed spice, 200g of self-raising flour, 1 tsp of baking powder, 300g of mixed sultanas and raisins, 2 grated apples. Here is how to make the most of one of the best Christmas cooking ideas:
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan.
- Line the bottom of a 20 cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the butter, sugar, eggs, black treacle, flour, spice and baking powder in a bowl by using an electric hand- beater.
- Stir in the fruits, place the batter into the tin and bake for about 1 hour, until the cake has visibly shrunk.
- Decorate with your favorite ornaments.